Full course description
THIS LISTING IS THE TBA SESSION OF THIS CLASS. To be notified when a session of this class is scheduled, or if you cannot attend the already scheduled course, please enroll in this class.
is a for this class. Participants interested in Establishing Expectations and Maintaining Effective Communication will need to complete the introduction class before enrolling. Click the hyperlink to register.
REd Synchronous classes are taught by subject matter experts, and provide both fundamental and advanced skills training in flipped classroom format. These classes are offered live (currently, via Zoom), wherein participants will attend and participate in the 1-hour live lecture/presentation. Participants will be required to work pre-class and post-class activities outside the classroom. These activities can include: readings, videos, etc.
Class Description: Establishing expectations and maintaining effective communication are the cornerstones of the mentoring relationship. In this class we will cover strategies for successful communication between mentors and mentees, with a focus on the necessity for a mutual understanding of expectations, the use of various modes of communication, the ways in which power differentials affect communication, and the importance of mutual feedback between mentors and mentees. During the live class meeting, we will use case studies to explore potential communication issues and ways of addressing them.
Objectives: At the conclusion of this class, you should be able to:
- Articulate the importance of explicit expectations and formulate plans for expectations within the mentoring relationship
- Evaluate various practices for effective communication
- Identify considerations/implications of setting expectations and communicating with diverse mentees.
Class Duration: Total duration for synchronous classes are approximately 2 hours. Those two (2) hours will be broken down into:
- A live session which will take approximately 1 hour (45-minute presentation and 15-minute Q&A) and;
- Pre and Post-work activities which will take approximately 1 hour, in total.